Historically in Kitchener the market and the city administration were located near each other, if not in the same building. When the town hall was built in 1869, space was allocated for market vendors. A separate building was erected in 1872 to house the market, to the rear of the town hall, that was in use until 1907. This market building is on the left side of this photo, in the foreground. Behind it is the town hall, facing King St. Across the street, on the corner of King and Benton, is the post office. In the left bottom corner is a Cedar Springs Ice delivery wagon.
View the Collection
This collection contains 100 images from archives held in the University of Waterloo Library's Special Collections Department, chosen to honour Kitchener's 100th anniversary of cityhood in 2012. The images include many buildings, from the grandest to the most humble, some long gone and some that have miraculously survived. Also included are general street views and aerial views that demonstrate changes to the landscape over the years.
Created by Doris Lewis Rare Book Room