"Tales of pioneer hardship and deprivation have been told many times. Yet still we remember in wonder, that people accomplished so much with so little; that men and women with simple tools, their bare hands, and their own inventiveness cleared the land, drained the swamps, made their own clothing and provided their own food. Through all these difficulties God was with them and they wanted their children educated intellectually and spritually." from Norfolk Street United Church history

Monday, December 31, 2012

The Royal Canadian Mint looks back on 2012 with pride and nostalgia

OTTAWA, December 27, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - As the striking of Canada's last penny on May 4, 2012 marked the end of an era and the Loonie reached its 25th birthday in June, the Royal Canadian Mint is pleased to have completed another milestone-filled year. From record collector coin sales and the launch of a new Silver Canadian Reserves ETR investment product to the return of Canada's first gold coins and the exploration of digital currency, the Mint continued to excel and thrive in all aspects of its business.

Farewell to the Penny

In Economic Action Plan 2012, the Government of Canada announced that it will phase out the penny from Canada's coinage system. The Royal Canadian Mint struck Canada's last one-cent circulation coin at its Winnipeg production facility on May 4, 2012. Building on its reputation as a leading coin supplier to the world, the Mint is focusing spare production capacity opened by the change to more international business. The Mint also took the opportunity to honour our iconic penny with a selection of limited-edition collectibles; from a selectively gold-plated silver coin to a finely crafted 1/25th ounce pure gold coin. While certain products rapidly sold-out, penny keepsakes can still be found at www.mint.ca, in Mint boutiques or at dealers across Canada.

Distribution of the penny to retailers and financial institutions will end on February 4, 2013. As the denomination remains legal tender and the coin continues to be used, consumers and businesses can consult guidelines on price rounding for cash transactions in the "LEARN" section of the Mint's web site. More information will be circulated in the weeks leading up to the last distribution of Canada's one-cent circulation coin.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal and War of 1812 Medal

Proud of its role in handcrafting a wide range of medals for the Canadian Forces and other revered Canadian institutions, the Mint is always keen to explore new technological horizons with unique projects such as the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games athlete medals and the Rick Hansen Relay Medal.

In 2012, we were honoured to craft the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal, issued to 60,000 Canadians in conjunction with the 60th anniversary of the reign of Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II. We were also privileged to produce War of 1812 commemorative medals specially commissioned for the recognition of First Nations and Métis communities whose brave support of British forces and Canadian militia were instrumental to the successful defense of Canadian territory during the War of 1812. These medals were presented, along with Canadian Forces battle honours, to the descendants of these brave warriors at an October 2012 ceremony at Rideau Hall.

Canada's first gold coins

The Mint travelled back in time on November 28, 2012, by unveiling a rare collection of 1912, 1913 and 1914-dated $5 and $10 Canadian gold coins previously stored at the Bank of Canada for more than 75 years and kept out of circulation for nearly a century. These treasures of our past, made of gold from the Klondike and newly discovered Ontario deposits, were held under the Government of Canada's Exchange Fund Account (EFA) and are now being liquidated by the Mint to return meaningful keepsakes to scores of collectors, while allowing the Government to invest the proceeds in fixed securities typically held in the EFA. Details of some 30,000 beautiful examples of Canada's first gold coins now for sale can be found at www.mint.ca/1912gold.

Numismatics and Collectibles Business Line Results

As it continues to expand its collector coin offering and diversify its customer base in Canada and abroad, the Mint is delighted to report excellent revenues and record product sell-outs for its Numismatics and Collectibles Business Line. By the end of the Third Quarter of 2012, revenue for the business line was over $107 million, which already eclipses the previous record of $93 million in annual revenues, set in 2011.

As well, a record of sixty 2012-dated collector products completely sold out. With popular subjects such as the 100th anniversary of the sinking of RMS Titanic and the Loonie's 25th birthday, as well as instant hits like our glow-in-the dark dinosaur coin, we actually doubled the previous record of 30 sell-outs.

Commemorative Circulation Coin Program

In keeping with its tradition of celebrating Canada's history, culture and values through coins, the Mint has continued to issue commemorative circulation coins which millions of Canadians can collect as proud symbols of our heritage and identity. A two-dollar coin and four 25-cent coins recognizing the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812; a one-dollar coin honouring the 100th playing of the Grey Cup; and the 2012 Lucky Loonie each became permanent reminders of proud moments which captured our collective imagination in 2012. Over 300,000 of these coins were exchanged with the public at special events held across Canada.

About the Royal Canadian Mint

The Royal Canadian Mint is the Crown Corporation responsible for the minting and distribution of Canada's circulation coins. An ISO 9001-2008 certified company, the Mint is recognized as one of the largest and most versatile mints in the world, offering a wide range of specialized, high quality coinage products and related services on an international scale. The Mint has also issued exchange-traded receipts under its Canadian Gold Reserves (TSX: MNT/MNT.U) and Canadian Silver Reserves (TSX: MNS/MNS.U), which provide holders with direct legal and beneficial ownership in physical gold and silver bullion held in the custody of the Mint at its facilities. For more information on the Mint, its products and services, visit www.mint.ca.

Friday, December 7, 2012

How Should the Great War be Remembered?

Your Chance to Weigh In with Canada's Leading Educators, Historians, Community Leaders & Museum Curators

OTTAWA, December 6, 2012 /Canada News Wire/ - 2014 marks the 100th Anniversary of the start of the First World War. It was the world's first global conflict and it affected every level of society. Over 500 high school students from Victoria High School are remembered in the Great War Roll of Honour; the first woman officially in the Royal Canadian Navy was a 'nursing sister' from Bruce County, Ontario named Elizabeth Pierce; 700 men from the Newfoundland regiment were killed or injured during the First World War and children across Canada saved their pennies to buy War Savings Stamps.

Cenotaphs in tribute to these sons, daughters, men and women exist in virtually every city and town across the country yet only 2 in 10 Canadians attend annual Remembrance Day events in their communities. Teachers and community groups are now seizing upon the centennial anniversary to renew interest about Canada's role during the Great War and make the distant past more relevant for Canadian students.

Canada's History Forum will bring together over 150 of Canada's leading educators, students, community leaders, historians and museum curators to join with the Governor General's History Award recipients and critically examine leading practices inside the classroom and in community commemorations. The theme of this year's 5th national history forum is 'How should World War I be remembered?" As the First World War fades from public memory, efforts as to how to preserve the world's first global conflict as a vibrant part of the Canadian historical and cultural landscape will be explored.

Deborah Morrison, President & CEO of Canada's History Society remarked,

"The National History Forum plays an important role in fostering a greater connection between the history students learn in school, and the presentation and commemoration of it in our communities. By hosting this annual opportunity to bring teachers, museums, and content creators together we spark new ideas and partnerships that will lead to the research and telling of even more of Canada's stories."

Some of this year's presenters include Jonathan Vance, who will discuss how Canadian remembrance of this event has changed over time, and Andrew Iarocci who will talk about the myths that surround Canada's involvement in the war. Melanie Martin, Department of Tourism, Culture & Recreation, Government of Newfoundland, will discuss the curriculum program and memorial projects under development in Newfoundland to commemorate their role in the Great War; and Dean Oliver, Director of Research, Interpretation and Exhibition at the Canadian War Museum will discuss new research and findings that address aspects of wartime Canada about which we still know very little.

An initiative of Canada's National History Society, produced with the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage and Enbridge Inc., the Forum will also feature a special presentation of the National Winners of the Heritage Fairs-Young Citizens student video project over the lunch hour.

This year's event will feature three sessions of an hour and a half in length and are structured to encourage questions and dialogue with the audience. The event will be held in Ottawa at the Canadian War Museum, 1 Vimy Place. It is open to the public and free of charge to attend. The presentations will also be broadcast live online. To register for the National Forum on Canadian History, and to preview podcasts with our Forum presenters visit the education section of www.CanadasHistory.ca

About Canada's History Society

Canada's History Society is a national charitable organization devoted to popularizing Canadian history. In addition to presenting the Governor General's History Awards and publishing Canada's History (formerly The Beaver) magazine, as well as Kayak: Canada's History Magazine for Kids, the Society also produces a number of educational and online programs to encourage more discovery, celebration, and understanding about our rich history and culture. More details can be found at www.CanadasHistory.ca.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Kitchener - 100 Years of Cityhood

Berlin Market, Town Hall, Post Office

Historically in Kitchener the market and the city administration were located near each other, if not in the same building. When the town hall was built in 1869, space was allocated for market vendors. A separate building was erected in 1872 to house the market, to the rear of the town hall, that was in use until 1907. This market building is on the left side of this photo, in the foreground. Behind it is the town hall, facing King St. Across the street, on the corner of King and Benton, is the post office. In the left bottom corner is a Cedar Springs Ice delivery wagon.

View the Collection

This collection contains 100 images from archives held in the University of Waterloo Library's Special Collections Department, chosen to honour Kitchener's 100th anniversary of cityhood in 2012. The images include many buildings, from the grandest to the most humble, some long gone and some that have miraculously survived. Also included are general street views and aerial views that demonstrate changes to the landscape over the years.

Created by Doris Lewis Rare Book Room

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Another of Acton's Brave Sons Killed in Action in France May 24, 1917

Obituary appeared in Acton Free Press (Acton, Ontario), 24 May 1917, p. 2, column 2

Pte. J. L. Moore Makes the Supreme Sacrifice
Another of Acton's Brave Sons Killed in Action in France

Last Thursday a message came from the Record Office, Ottawa, to Mr. and Mrs. N. F. Moore, saying:

Ottawa, Ont., May 16th, 1917
Nelson F. Moore,
Acton, Ont.
Sincerely regret to inform you 602299 Pte. John L. Moore, Infantry, officially reported wounded May fifth, nineteen seventeen. Will send further particulars when received.
Office in charge Records.

This news naturally brought grave anxiety to the home, but with a brave and patient courage Mr. and Mrs. Moore awaited further particulars of the casualty earnestly hoping that it would not be unduly serious.

Early Monday morning a second message came from Ottawa being this heart-rending intelligence:

Ottawa, Ont. May 20th, 1917
Nelson F. Moore,
Acton, Ont.
Cable received to-day states 602299 Pte. John Lewis Moore, Infantry, previously reported wounded, now officially reported killed in action May fifth, nineteen seventeen
Office in charge Records.

Private Moore was the only son of the home and this sudden bereavement came as a stunning blow to the hearts of these brave parents who had given their boy when the country's call came.

Pte. Moore enlisted in the 34th Battalion at Guelph in January, 1915. He was a member of the Bugle Band of the regiment. After nine months of military drill and instruction at Guelph and London he went overseas with his battalion, landing in England the last of October, 1915. After some months in camps in England the 34th was divided into special drafts and sent from time to time to the front to reinforce regiments that had been decimated.

Bugler Moore was then transferred to the military band of the Montreal French Battalion, the 23rd, which was a reserve force. This band was under the leadership of a French bandmaster from Paris. Remaining in England when his comrades were being sent to the front became irksome to this intrepid young soldier, and he applied for a place as a private. Once or twice the Medical Board refused him. He persisted, however, and eventually secured a place in the ranks last fall.

He went to France with his battalion in March, and was evidently with the Canadian divisions which won distinction in the battles of Vimy Ridge and beyond. He fell in action on Saturday, 5th May.

John Lewis Moore was born in Acton on May 13th, 1894, and would have been twenty-three the week after he fell. He was the only son of Nelson F. Moore, who is the only son of the late Thomas C. Moore, who spent his life in Acton.

Deceased was a young man of noble character, one of whom any father and mother might justly feel proud. After passing the High School entrance examination he came to the FREE PRESS and spent four years in this office. For a time he was foreman of the Gazette at Burlington, in which town his Christian activities were much appreciated.

Early in life he became a Christian and accepted the faith of his fathers. He was an active worker; was energetic in the Epworth League, and was President of the King's Orderlies, Bible Class, and an efficient teacher in the Sunday School.

When he enlisted he was made Hon. President of the K.O.B.C. and held that honorable position until his death. Several years ago he decided to offer himself as a missionary to China and to that end gave up the printing business and returned to High School. Here he was when the call came for volunteers for Canada's overseas forces. He had considerable talent as a public speaker, and he was successively granted license as an exhorter and a local preacher of the Methodist Church. Only last Wednesday evening the Official Board renewed his local preacher's license for the year. He was an exemplary young man, an effective worker, one who was always uncompromising in standing for the right and putting "first things first."

As his father said to the writer the day the sad news came that he had fallen in action: "He was true to his friends, to his country and to his God."

As an index of the happy relations with his home here we present the following poems which he sent to his parents last Christmas:


May the Lord watch forever between me and thee, When we are absent one from the other; Are the words that I send with a heart full of love, To the best of dear pals, my mother.

For King, Queen and Country we're fighting, "Honor and Right" is our watchword true; The "might" at first seemed to hold sway, Naught shall conquer the Red, White and Blue.

"Twas some time since that I left my loved home, To answer old England's cry; The parting was hard, and though she tried to be brave, There was a tear in my dear mother's eye.

"God bless you," said she, "God bless her," said I, For of mothers no man had a better; And while I'm in England, or when I go to the front She knows I will never forget her.

So, cheer up, Dear Mother, my truest of pals, Though at parting your heart may feel sore, We will all look forward with hearts full of hope To true happiness when peace comes once more.


Dear old Dad, when Kitchener called, On me to come up with the Boys, I thought of you and my dear old home, And the scenes of my childhood joys.

It's up to me to go out and help The other brave chaps at the front, Never let it be said I was one that jibbed While others bore the brunt.

When "ours" go where our duty calls, And I hope that won't be long; We'll get the Huns well on the run, To the tune of our marching song.

Memories of home and my dear ones, Are ever with me night and day: Those happy times I shall never forget, While in England, or over the way.

General sympathy is felt by the communoity for Mr. and Mrs. Moore in their great sorrow.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Keeping Warm in the 19th Century

ABOYNE Ontario – November 7, 2012 Wellington County Museum and Archives News Release - During the severe Ontario winters of the 19th century, warmth was sometimes just a word, not a reality. Imagine waking up with a crust of frost covering the blankets, icy floors and frozen water. The upcoming exhibition Keeping Warm in the 19th Century opens November 10 at Wellington County Museum and Archives.

“Our material history, preserved in the Museum collection, reflects the challenges of keeping warm. Cloth scraps were saved to create patchwork quilts stuffed with wool or cotton. Undervests and heavy petticoats provided an extra layer of insulation from the wind and cold. Fur coats, hats and mittens protected from frostbite and ‘blind pigs’ (ceramic hot water containers) offered extra comfort for numb feet,” said Curator Susan Dunlop.

“These utilitarian pieces were created not only for warmth. The artifacts will delight visitors with their attention to fine details and give you a sense of appreciation for the hardiness of Wellington County pioneers.”

The exhibition runs until April 2, 2013.

The Wellington County Museum and Archives is located on Wellington Road #18 between Fergus and Elora. The galleries are open weekdays from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm and 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.

For more information, please contact:
Amy Dunlop, Curatorial Assistant
Tel: 519.846.0916 x 5232
Email: amyd@wellington.ca

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Famous trio of Victoria Cross medals unveiled at the Canadian War Museum

Eric Clarke and Doug Cargo admire the new display of three Victoria Cross Medals awarded during the First World War to residents of Winnipeg's Valour Road. Mr. Clarke and LCol (Rtd) Cargo are the great-nephews of Corporal Lionel B. Clarke and Company Sergeant Major Frederick William Hall. (CNW Group/Canadian War Museum)

OTTAWA, November 5, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - An extraordinary collection of all three Victoria Cross Medals awarded during the First World War to residents of Winnipeg's Pine Street, later renamed Valour Road, was unveiled today at the Canadian War Museum.

This collection was completed with the recent acquisition of the medal awarded in 1915 to Company Sergeant Major Frederick William Hall. The War Museum acquired the Valour Road Victoria Crosses of Lieutenant Robert Shankland and Corporal Lionel B. Clarke in 2009 and 2010 respectively.

Only 96 Victoria Crosses were awarded to Canadians in the medal's 156-year history, making this coincidence truly exceptional. With the acquisition of the Hall Victoria Cross, the Canadian War Museum now has 33 Victoria Crosses in its collection, including one from the nineteenth century, 28 from the First World War and four from the Second World War.

"Valour Road is remarkable for its association with three recipients of this renowned award for bravery. The three men were honoured for their heroic acts in different battles and in different years, but all were from a single block of the same residential street," said Mark O'Neill, President and CEO of the Canadian Museum of Civilization Corporation, which operates the Canadian War Museum. "These medals belong together and so they shall remain in perpetuity, held in the name of all Canadians."

The trio of medals will remain on permanent display in the Royal Canadian Legion Hall of Honour. In 2014, this famous trio of Victoria Cross Medals will be loaned to the Manitoba Museum in Winnipeg for a special exhibition commemorating the role of the Winnipeg Rifles and Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders regiments during the First World War.

"Our Government is very proud to see this extraordinary story displayed in the War Museum's collection and shared with other museums and institutions across the country," said Minister Moore. "On the road to Canada's 150th birthday in 2017, let us continue to celebrate all of the things that make Canada the united, prosperous, and free country we are today."

The Victoria Cross was introduced during the reign of Queen Victoria and remains the highest award for military valour in Britain and much of the Commonwealth including Canada, which created its own version of the Victoria Cross in 1993.

The Victoria Cross is awarded

"for the most conspicuous bravery, a daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice or extreme devotion to duty, in the presence of the enemy."

Company Sergeant Major Frederick William Hall received the medal for his actions during the 2nd Battle of Ypres, infamous as the site of the first German gas attack on the western front. Hall was shot in the forehead and killed during a prolonged and valiant attempt to rescue a wounded comrade. The posthumous award was presented to his mother. Corporal Clarke received his medal for valour in the face of the enemy at the Somme Front on September 9, 1916, while Lieutenant Shankland received his Victoria Cross for actions during the Battle of Passchendaele in October 1917.

The Canadian War Museum is Canada's national museum of military history. Its mission is to promote public understanding of Canada's military history in its personal, national, and international dimensions.

More Information:

The Victoria Cross and the Heroes of Valour Road

The Victoria Cross was instituted on February 5, 1856 with the first awards given to heroes of the Crimean War (1854-1856). It is the British Commonwealth's highest award for military bravery.

Since its inception, the Victoria Cross has been awarded to 96 Canadians (Canadian born or serving in the Canadian Army). Ten of the awards were for actions during the late nineteenth century and the South African War (1899-1902), 70 for actions during the First World War (1914-1918) and 16 for actions during the Second World War (1939-1945). No Victoria Crosses have been awarded to Canadians in the post-war era.

The issue of the Victoria Cross to Canadians was discontinued when Canada instituted its own awards for bravery and gallantry during the late 1960s and early 1970s. However, a uniquely Canadian version of the Victoria Cross was introduced in 1993, again becoming Canada's highest award for bravery in the face of the enemy. It is identical to the earlier British award except the words For Valour are replaced by the Latin Pro Valore. The Canadian Victoria Cross has yet to be awarded.

The Heroes of Valour Road

Of the 70 Victoria Crosses awarded to Canadians during the First World War, three went to residents of a single block of one residential street: the 700 block of Pine Street in Winnipeg. In recognition of their gallantry, the city changed the name of the street to Valour Road in 1925.

The men were different ages, served in different military units, and were recognized for heroism in different battles. The nature of their pre-war connections—if any—are unknown. But the coincidence of having so many Victoria Crosses associated with a single street is unique in the world.

Frederick William Hall

Hall was born in Kilkenny, Ireland, in 1885. A veteran of the British Army, he immigrated to Canada with other members of his family a few years before the outbreak of the First World War. He worked as a shipping clerk in Winnipeg and then enlisted in the 8th Canadian Infantry Battalion in September 1914.

Seven months later, the Battalion was at the western front helping to defend the Ypres Salient, a bulge pushing into the German lines around the city of Ypres, Belgium. The Salient guarded an important communication crossroads and access to the channel ports of Calais and Dunkirk.

On April 22, 1915, the Battalion was among the Allied defenders enveloped by the first use of poison gas on the western front. The Germans attacked again the next night with artillery and another release of chlorine gas. Hall's company was ordered to leave its trench and move to another, exposing the men to enemy fire as they crossed a raised bank. After arriving at the new location, Company Sergeant Major Hall determined that two of the men under his command were missing. He left the trench, found both wounded men in the darkness, and brought them back to safety.

The next morning, on April 24, he heard the groans and cries of another wounded man and organized a rescue party with two volunteers from his company. Both volunteers were wounded in the attempt, and Hall pulled them back to safety. He then decided to try again on his own. With bullets hitting the ground around him, he made his way to the wounded soldier. As he was attempting to lift the man, Hall was hit in the forehead by an enemy bullet and killed. The soldier he was attempting to save was also shot to death.

For his heroic deeds, Hall was recommended for the Victoria Cross. The medal was presented to his mother, Mrs. Mary Ann Hall, who was then living in Winnipeg with Fredrick's two sisters.

Lionel B. ("Leo") Clarke

Clarke was born in Waterdown, Ontario, in 1892, but his family eventually settled in Winnipeg. He was a railroad surveyor in Saskatchewan when the First World War began, and he returned to Winnipeg to enlist in the 27th Battalion. He later transferred to the 2nd Battalion, 1st Canadian Division to be with his brother Charles.

Leo Clarke volunteered for a bombing platoon, whose members were trained in the use and tactics of hand-grenades. Working with bayonet men, their task was to clear enemy trenches in close quarter combat. On September 9, 1916, Corporal Clarke and his platoon were at the Somme Front. Their objective was to clear a section of enemy trench, then build an earth and sandbag barrier to prevent a counterattack. Clarke led a small group of men down a section of the trenchline while the other Canadians began building the barrier. The fighting was so fierce for Clarke's group that all of his comrades were soon dead or injured. About 20 German soldiers, led by two officers, began a counterattack. Clarke built and defended his own hasty barrier. When the fighting stopped, Clarke had been bayoneted in the leg, but had killed or captured all of his attackers.

For that valour in the face of the enemy, Clarke earned the Victoria Cross. Sadly, he did not live to receive the decoration. Almost two months after his remarkable display of heroism, he was killed by enemy shellfire. The medal was presented posthumously to his father during a ceremony in Winnipeg.

Robert Shankland

Born in Ayr, Scotland, in 1887, Robert Shankland moved to Canada in 1910 and found work as a cashier at a Winnipeg creamery. He enlisted in the 43rd Canadian Infantry Battalion (Cameron Highlanders of Canada) in December 1914.

Shankland received the Victoria Cross for his actions during the Battle of Passchendaele in October 1917. At the time, he was a Lieutenant in the 43rd Battalion. On the morning of October 26, the opening day of the battle, Shankland led his platoon of men from D Company to the crest of a hill overlooking the enemy trenches at Bellevue Spur. To his right were elements of the 58th Battalion and to his left were troops from the 8th Brigade.

When the Canadians moved forward, B Company of the 43rd Battalion captured Bellevue Spur, but heavy enemy fire caused the 58th to retire, leaving Shankland and his platoon from D Company exposed on the right flank. Eventually, the left flank retired, further exposing Shankland's troops. They were subjected to enemy fire and a counter-attack, suffering heavy casualties for four hours. Recognizing the desperate need for reinforcements, Shankland made the perilous journey back to Battalion headquarters where he provided a detailed report of the situation and a plan to counter-attack. He then returned to his men, who were soon successfully reinforced by soldiers from the 52nd and 58th battalions. For his actions that day Robert Shankland was awarded the Victoria Cross for his leadership and courage.

Shankland was the only one of the three Valour Road Victoria Cross recipients to survive the war.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

History of Everton - Eramosa Township Wellington County

...from the Wellington County Historical Society Essay and Journal Collection

photo credit: Wellington County Museum and Archives

Speech given by Master Ross Dampier at Eramosa school fair September 23, 1932 - This speech placed Ross as first prize winner

I wish this afternoon to tell you something of the history of the most important village in the township of Eramosa – a village noted for the cleverness of the citizens, past present and future, the great variety of its industries and the magnificence of its scenery.

I do not need to tell this intelligent audience that I refer to my home town Everton.

Everton was just called Hungry Hollow but we would prefer to call it Prosperity Corners.

When we study the history of our village we find that Rufus Evert, uncle of Mr. William Evert who still lives in our village, and Peter Stewart, Great uncle of Councillor John Stewart, were the first owners of the land where our village now stands.

Some time before 1858 they laid out a town of many streets. They must have had a great imagination for they saw avenues where Colonel Head now harvests heavy fields of oats, and busy factories where Arnold Wauless drives his cattle home in the cool of the evening.

The town plan provided for a market square of an acre of two taken off Mr. Stewart’s property just above the church. This is still commons.

The upper part of the village was called Stewarttown, while the lower was Everton. No doubt they hoped that some day there would be twin cities (like Minneapolis and St. Paul) to grace the centre of old Ontario.

For some time the place seemed to prosper and many industries sprung up and it came to have three churches, two hotels, three blacksmiths shops, grocery store a tailor shop, an implement agency, a cabinet markers shop, a carding mill, a washing machine factory, a cooper shop, and stove factory and a potash plant.

There was also a flour and feed and saw mill. These with a church a store and one blacksmith shop are all that remains.

It looked at one time as if those dreams were coming true, but alas! the railroad passed us by and unwisely placed its depot in Rockwood. The provincial highway also kept to the south (number 7).

Our clever young people drifted to the city and our industries have followed them. Our population though less than in the olden days, still shows so many types we are just waiting for an L.M. Montgomery or a Joseph C. Lincoln to rise up among us and we will be famous.

Although the hydro builder has spoiled some of our trees we still have a village that could be just as pretty as any in Muskoka. Who knows that we may not yet cheat the village cows of free pasture and establish an air dome on the market square that will bring us loads of American summer visitors.

Our school in the past has sent out teachers, nurses, bank clerks, druggists, dentists, doctors, ministers, lawyers, a judge, a university professor and a senator. Who will say that we may not now be training future college presidents or even prime ministers in S.S. No. 7 Eramosa?

April 16th, 1940 at time of copying this.

The old stone store has been burned. The blacksmith shop owner, Mr. George Robertson, died. It has been dismantled and sold for lumber or firewood.

The old Methodist church used for a Literary Society since 1902 until about 1930 was it was used for a blacksmith shop by [ Charles ] Fountaine and since destroyed by fire.

Colonel Head keeps groceries in his house.

Electricity installed in Everton February 1931. Lights turned on in the church February 6th, 1931.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Roszel Family – War of 1812 Survivors Erin Township Wellington County

Pioneer Methodist Families of Wellington County, Ontario

The founder of this family in Canada was Charles Roszel, who came from New York State about 1800, and settled on a farm on the Sixteen road in Gainsboro Twp., about two miles from Smithsville, where some of the descendants still live. (1906)

Five of his sons served in the war of 1812, and were in General Brock’s command, but escaped without wounds.

Nathaniel, Eldrich and George were given grants in Erin Twp. for their services, getting 100 acres each on payment of $26 to defray expenses of deeds etc.

George and Nathaniel were to receive lot 2, con. 6, but the deeds by mistake were drawn for lot 1, con. 7.

In November 1820 George and Nathaniel came to Erin Twp., but George did not like the country, so sold his 100 acres, east half, lot 1, con. 7, to Nathaniel, who stayed there. The journey was a hard one, as they had to cut their way in from Georgetown, and the difficulties of the trip can be judged by the fact that the path they cut to their locations was nine miles in length, and the journey now is made in six. They brought horses with them, but finding them of little service, Nathaniel sent his home with George, and they were returned to him later; these were probably the first horses in the township.

Eldrich Roszel came to Erin Twp. in the spring of 1821, and settled on his grant, the west half, lot 2, con. 7. Nathaniel was born on July 3, 1878 and came with his parents to Gainsboro Twp.

He served in the war of 1812, and was in the battles of Queenston Heights, and Lundy’s Lane, where he waded through blood to his shoe tops.

In the fall of 1820 he settled on the land grant which he received for his services. He was the first settler in the township of Erin. He used to clear 8 acresof land every winter, and was conscientious and a hard worker. In the early days he took his grist to Jones’ mill on the sixth line of Esquesing Twp.

He was a Methodist, and his house was headquarters for the ministers in the early days, and he gave ground for the church and cemetery. He was a Reformer in politics, and in the first elections, went all the way to Palermo to vote the freehold ticket.

He married on October 25, 1809 Christeen Felker, who died on October 10, 1812.

On January 10, 1813 he married Hannah Fowler. Issue: Charles P., Carrick Twp.; Jacob was born and died in 1813; Jane was born in 1814 and she married John Sharp, of Acton; James was born in 1815 and settled at Hatchley; Ann was born in 1816 and she married Thomas Ismound of Erin Twp.; Joseph was born in 1818 and he settled in Elma Twp.; Hannah, was born in 1819 and died in infancy; Martha was born in 1820 and she married George Havens of Erin Twp.; Benjamin was born on November 11, 1821 and was the first white child born in Wellington County.; Solomon was born in 1824 at Erin; Christeen was born in1826 and she married William Sayers of Erin Twp.; Stephenwas born in 1829 in Erin Twp.; Nathaniel was born in 1834 and died in infancy; George was born in 1835 and died in infancy; and Wilson was born in 1839 and died in infancy;

George was born in 1832, occupies a part of the homestead. He married Alice Vanatter of Erin Twp. Issue: Mrs. E. Hilts, Norval; Sarah who died at the age of 24 years, Mrs. Comfort Thompson, Hiram and Elijah who died in infancy, Mrs. Robert Wood, and Ira, Erin Twp.

Benjamin Roszel, who was the first white child b. in Wellington County., was born in Erin Twp., in 1821, on lot 1, con. 6, and practically passed his life in that Twp. He never sought or held municipal office, and was very much respected.

He was a member of the Methodist church, and a Liberal in politics.

He married Elizabeth O’Reilly, who died at the age of 66 years, while he died in 1897 at the age of 76 years. Issue: George A., Charles H. who married Hannah Awrey and settled in Erin Twp.; John H. married Isabella Tolton and settled in Erin Twp.; Mrs. Wm. Mooney, William J. married Margaret Aitcheson and settled in Erin Twp.; Mrs. Duncan McArthur, Michigan USA; and Benjamin who first married Miss King, and second Annie Whiteside, and settled in Erin Twp.

George A. was born and brought up in Erin Twp. He owns 150 acres, lot 23, con. 7, Eramosa Twp., upon which he resides, and also 50 acres, lot 21, Erin Twp. He carries on mixed farming, and has acquired his property by his own exertions.

He is a Presbyterian and a Liberal. He married Catharine Howe. Issue: Mary E., William H., John E., Charles, George, Howard, James, Irvin, Mary P., and Herman.

…from the Historical Atlas of the County of Wellington, Ontario. Toronto: Historical Atlas Publishing Co., 1906

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Imperial War Museums - Google Art Project

The Imperial War Museums (IWM) is a group of five museums in Britain with collections documenting conflicts from the First World War to the present.

IWM has made a contribution of 78 works of art by 53 artists to the Google Art Project: a collaboration between Google and 151 partners located in 40 countries to make digital versions of art visible to more people.

Most of the works contributed by IWM date from World War I, including John Singer Sargent's 1919 painting “Gassed,” showing the aftermath of a mustard gas attack, or from World War II, such as “Preparations for D-Day” and “1944” by Richard Ernst Eurich.

Works in the IWM gallery at Google Art can be viewed on a timeline, zoomed in, with extensive captioning for details, or on a map. There is also a link to the Museum's website to see more related art from the other 156 collections available. [DS]

Visit the site at: http://www.googleartproject.com/collection/imperial-war-museum/

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout 1994-2012. http://scout.wisc.edu/

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Get Ready to be Spooked at Howling Hootenanny and All Hallows Eve at Black Creek Pioneer Village

TORONTO, October 17, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - Enjoy a howling good time at Black Creek Pioneer Village with two great Halloween events.

Howling Hootenanny

Howling Hootenanny is a family friendly, activity packed, daytime event for trick or treaters young and old. Families will discover the spooky traditions, superstitions and history of Halloween from the 19th century - and have a lot of fun in the process! Walk through the Haunted Maze, get amazed by Dracula The Magician, watch The Fire Guy eat fire and juggle pumpkins, decorate and take home a free pumpkin, shoot apples into the valley with the popular apple slingshot and visit unique artisans that make sand art, leather goods, paint faces, braid hair and more. Kids can make their own trick or treat bags and trick or treat around the Village.

When: Saturday and Sunday, October 20/21 and October 27/28
Time: 11:00 am - 4:30 pm
For full list of activities please visit: http://blackcreek.ca/v2/events/howling-hootenanny.dot

All Hallows Eve

All Hallows Eve, is a ticketed event, that will give the older set a frightening fun night! Some of the chilling activities include a chance to learn what spirits lurk in the deep dark corners of a 19th century village with tales of the ghosts of Black Creek, entertainment by Zoltan the Adequate with his fire-eating and gargling razor blades show, and postmortem photography, creepy but popular with the Victorians. Confront your fears of what's looming around the corner in the Haunted Maze and learn the horrifying truth about the epidemics that rocked the town of York in the 19th century. Visit one of a kind artisans that make unique masks, high end leather clothing, and even predict your future. Once you've been spooked out, head down to our Historic Brewery and treat yourself to a pint of our special Pumpkin Ale.

Date : October 27
Time : 7:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
For full list of activities please visit: http://www.allhallowseve.ca


Howling Hootenanny: $15 for adults, $11 for children, and $14 for seniors and students (plus HST)

All Hallow's Eve: $20.00 /person-pre-ticketed, $25.00/person at the door (plus HST). Members to call Customer Service at 416-667-6284 to receive discount.

Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.allhallowseve.ca/ or by calling customer service.

About Black Creek Pioneer Village

Black Creek Pioneer Village is Toronto's premier outdoor living history museum, located at 1000 Murray Ross Parkway, Toronto. Visitors can explore heritage homes and buildings restored to re-create an 1860s Ontario village. Historic interpreters in period dress demonstrate how villagers lived, worked and played. The Village hosts learning programs and special events that highlight local heritage and culture. The tranquil setting, rural landscapes, heritage gardens and period farm animal breeds make Black Creek Pioneer Village the perfect place to break out of the modern world and journey into the past. Located in north Toronto, Black Creek Pioneer Village is owned and operated by Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA). Black Creek Pioneer Village acknowledges support from the City of Toronto, the Ontario Ministry of Tourism and Culture, The Living City Foundation and the public. For more information please visit www.blackcreek.ca.

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Catching up with the Curator: The White House Fire of 1814

Go inside the White House with White House Curator Bill Allman as he shows you how the effects of the White House fire of 1814 still linger untill this day. For information on fire prevention or general emergency preparedness head on over to http://www.ready.gov

Friday, October 5, 2012

Canadian Government Invests in McMichael Canadian Art Collection

Prudence Heward (1896-1947)
The Blue Church, Prescott, 1933
McMichael Canadian Art Collection
Gift of Dr. Naomi Jackson Groves

KLEINBURG, Ontario, October 5, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - Investments in arts and heritage by the Government of Canada will increase tourism, create jobs and benefit residents and visitors. Support for the McMichael Canadian Art Collection was announced today by the Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister for International Cooperation and Member of Parliament (Vaughan), on behalf of the Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.

This investment will support the redesign and upgrade of the museum's three art collection storage vaults. New specialized compact storage units will be installed to improve the efficiency of the available space. The funding will also support the necessary move of the permanent collections to temporary storage during the renovation of the vault storage areas, protecting the valuable Canadian artwork.

"This year marks the start of the five-year countdown to Canada's 150th birthday in 2017," said Minister Moore. "Our Government is proud to invest in projects like the McMichael upgrade, which contribute to our collective identity and define who we are as Canadians. On the road to 2017, let us continue to celebrate all of the things that make Canada the united, prosperous and free country we are today."

"The McMichael Canadian Art Collection offers our community and visitors a truly Canadian experience," said Minister Fantino. "With the funding provided by our Government, the art gallery will improve the presentation and preservation of its collection for all Canadians to enjoy."

"Our museum holds in trust for the people of Ontario and Canada a superb collection of the works of the Group of Seven and other Canadian and Aboriginal artists," said Victoria Dickenson, Director and CEO, McMichael Canadian Art Collection. "We are delighted that the federal government is helping us to preserve these works for the enjoyment and inspiration not only of today's visitors but for future generations."

The Government of Canada has provided total funding of $145,000 through two programs of the Department of Canadian Heritage: $95,000 through the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund and $50,000 through the Museum Assistance Program. The Canada Cultural Spaces Fund seeks to improve physical conditions for artistic creativity and arts presentation or exhibition. It is also designed to increase access for Canadians to performing, visual, and media arts, and to museum collections and heritage displays. The Museums Assistance Program provides funding to Canadian museums and related institutions for projects that foster excellence in museum activities and that facilitate access to the treasures of our collective heritage.

Canadian Government Invests in War of 1812 Commemorations in New Brunswick

FREDERICTON, New Brunswick October 5, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - An investment from the Government of Canada will enable the people of New Brunswick to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812. Support for The St. John River Society was announced today by the Honourable Keith Ashfield, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, Minister for the Atlantic Gateway and Member of Parliament (Fredericton), on behalf of the Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages.

The St. John River Society will commemorate the involvement of New Brunswick in the War of 1812. One of the activities will include a re-enactment of the March of the 104th Regiment of Foot. During the War, this Regiment marched more than 1,100 kilometres from Fredericton to Kingston, Ontario, to reinforce British troops and thwart an expected invasion by the Americans. This effort by a regiment of poorly clothed, frostbitten, and hungry soldiers stands as an incredible feat in military history.

"This year marks the start of the five-year countdown to Canada's 150th birthday in 2017," said Minister Moore. "Our Government is proud to invest in projects that contribute to our collective identity and define who we are as Canadians. On the road to 2017, let us continue to celebrate all of the things that make Canada the united, prosperous and free country we are today."

"Because of our Government's investment in The St. John River Society, our community, tourists and Canadians will learn about the important role played by New Brunswick—and specifically the March of the 104th Regiment of Foot—during the War of 1812," said Minister Ashfield. "The commemorative activities planned for the next three years are an exciting opportunity to remember our ancestors' contributions that helped pave the way to the independent nation we live in today."

"Thanks to the funding received from the Government of Canada, The St. John River Society will be able to play a key role in marking the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 in New Brunswick," said Wanda Hughes, President of the Society. "New Brunswick has an important piece to contribute to the national narrative of this war. Through this project, The St. John River Society and its partners will ensure that this incredible story gets its just due on the national stage."

The St. John River Society is a not-for-profit organization that is acting as a regional coordinator for War of 1812 commemorative activities in New Brunswick. In 2011-2012, the Society received funding of $142,060 through the 1812 Commemoration Fund for research, planning and coordination of the re-enactment of the March of 104th Regiment of Foot and associated school and community commemorative activities.

The Government of Canada has provided additional funding totalling $435,000 ($335,000 for 2012-2013 and $100,000 for 2013-2014) through Canadian Heritage's 1812 Commemoration Fund. The Fund supports community-based projects to foster greater awareness and understanding of the importance of this conflict.

Visit 1812.gc.ca to learn more about the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October to be Named a Month of Commemoration of the Heroes and Key Battles of the War of 1812

OTTAWA, October 1, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - Statement by the Honourable James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages:

Canadians will celebrate and commemorate many important events and milestones on the road to Canada's 150th birthday in 2017.

The War of 1812 paved the way for Confederation. It was the fight for Canada and a defining moment in our country's history that saw British army and navy, English- and French-speaking militia, and First nations and Métis allies join together to defend our borders. Without their courage and sacrifice, Canada as we know it would not exist.

Today marks the start of a month of commemoration of the heroes and key battles of the War of 1812.

Events are currently taking place across Canada in tribute to key battles of the War of 1812—from the victory at Queenston Heights on October 13, 1812, in which Major-General Brock died leading a charge against the Americans and earned the title "the hero of Upper Canada," to the victory at Châteauguay on October 26, 1813, in which Lieutenant-Colonel Salaberry's force of Canadian militia from Quebec and First Nations allies won an incredible victory against a larger American army. Battles such as these represent our past and define who we are as Canadians.

I encourage all Canadians to take part in a local celebration, visit a local museum and learn more about Canada's history, which would have been forever changed had we not successfully repelled the American invasion.

On behalf of the Government of Canada, I invite Canadians to join me in commemorating the events that took place during the War of 1812 and honouring those who fought for Canada.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Government of Canada Honours Korean War Veterans

OTTAWA, September 22, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - On behalf of the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs, Senator Yonah Martin today attended a wreath-laying ceremony at the National War Memorial and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with the Honourable John Baird, Minister of Foreign Affairs and His Excellency Sung-Hwan Kim, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea, to pay tribute to Canadian Veterans of the Korean War.

"Today our Government honours the sacrifices and contributions of our Canadian Veterans, in particular those who served in the Korean War, one of Canada's most significant military engagements of the 20th century," said Minister Blaney. "We must preserve the legacy of our Veterans, especially among our younger generations."

"Although Korea is half a world away, the friendship between Canada and South Korea has been growing stronger for more than half a century," said Senator Martin. "I am very pleased to know that the contributions of Canadian Veterans are so well respected and honoured in Korea. The ultimate sacrifices Canadians and the achievements of every soldier in Korea will not be forgotten."

"The Korean War had profound regional and global ramifications that still resound today," said Minister Baird. "Our Government proudly honours the swift and strong contribution of our Veterans. We do this to ensure that this key event in our history is never forgotten and that such a conflict is never repeated."

More than 26,000 Canadian men and women served during the Korean War. Approximately 7,000 Canadians continued to serve between the signing of the Armistice in 1953 and the end of 1955, with some Canadian troops remaining until 1957. Of those Canadians, 516 gave their lives.

More information on Canada's participation in the Korean War is available on Veterans Affairs Canada's Web site at veterans.gc.ca.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Guelph Historical Society 2012 Lecture Series

GUELPH Ontario September 15, 2012 - Guelph Historical Society Release - The first lecture of the 2011 – 2012 "Evenings With History" series will take place on Tuesday October 2, 2012 in the hall of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (Suffolk and Norfolk streets in Guelph, Ontario), starting at 7:30 p.m.

The presenter will be Bev Dietrich.

The topic: "Sitting Pretty: The History of the Toilet".

Bev Dietrich is the Curator of Guelph Museums which includes the brand new Guelph Civic Museum and McCrae house, birthplace of WWI poet John McCrae of “In Flanders Fields” fame. Bev was the curator of the travelling exhibit “Sitting Pretty: The History of the Toilet” that travelled to museums across Canada and around Ontario for over eleven years. Bev has compiled the research and photographs, and developed an interesting and somewhat humorous talk about the history of not only the toilet, but outhouses, public washrooms, chamber pots and toilet paper.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Provincial plaque commemorates Dale Estate in Brampton

BRAMPTON, Ontario, September 12, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - Today, the Ontario Heritage Trust, the City of Brampton and Friends of the Dale Estate unveiled a provincial plaque to commemorate the Dale Estate.

"The Dale Estate began the greenhouse industry in Peel Region and encouraged the industry's growth. It created many jobs, gave Brampton status in the global market and strengthened the community's economic viability. The Dale Estate forms an important part of Brampton's heritage, and I am pleased to be able to commemorate their history in the Flower City." - Michael Chan, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport

"The Ontario Heritage Trust is delighted to celebrate Brampton's floriculture heritage. The Dale Estate is a remarkable story, a business that started with Edward Dale's home garden and, at its peak, produced millions of flowers for admirers around the globe. The Dale Estate and its flowers were world-renowned and encouraged the growth, prosperity and fame of the City of Brampton." - Thomas H.B. Symons, Chairman of the Ontario Heritage Trust

The unveiling took place at the Rose Theatre Brampton in Brampton, Ontario.

The plaque reads as follows:

The Dale Estate The Dale Estate nurseries played an instrumental role in the development of Brampton, establishing its reputation as "The Flower Town of Canada." The business began in 1863 with its founder Edward Dale selling vegetables from his garden and it soon expanded to include the cultivation of greenhouse roses. By the early 20th century, the Dale Estate employed a quarter of Brampton's population and was among the largest greenhouse flower producers in the world. International success stemmed, in part, from the production of new varieties of roses and orchids, and from the famous "Autographed Rose" technique. The Dale Estate continued to prosper through the first half of the 20th century and its numerous greenhouses and great chimney became iconic features of the local community. In the 1960s, the Dale Estate was sold and merged with another local grower, becoming the Calvert-Dale Estates. Gradually, production slowed and the firm closed its doors in 1980.

"For over 100 years, the family-run Dale Estate blossomed with international recognition for Brampton. Significant to our Flowertown heritage, the Dale Estate was one of the largest growers in the world and their roses renowned. Brampton - Canada's Flower City - is proud to celebrate the Dale Estate's history of success and distinction as inspiration for our city's future." - Susan Fennell, Mayor, City of Brampton

"The Dale Estate, once the third-largest greenhouse operation in the world, sold world-renowned roses and assorted flowers for over a century. It gave rise to Brampton's reputation as "The Flower Town of Canada" and dominated the fabric of life in the small town. Today, this floral heritage continues in Brampton's annual Flower Festival, corporate logo, beautiful parks and branding as the Flower City. By this plaque, we commemorate that great floral giant, the Dale Estate, and its founder, Harry Dale, whose love of roses put the small town of Brampton on the worldwide stage." - Dale O'Hara, author of Acres of Glass and member of Friends of The Dale Estate

Quick Facts

The provincial plaque will be permanently installed in Duggan Park - near the intersection of Vodden Street East and Centre Street North - in Brampton.

The Ontario Heritage Trust's Provincial Plaque Program commemorates significant people, places and events in Ontario's history.

Since 1956, over 1,200 provincial plaques have been unveiled.

The Ontario Heritage Trust is an agency of the Government of Ontario dedicated to identifying, preserving, protecting and promoting Ontario's heritage.

Join the Royals for a Royal experience at Sainte-Marie among the Hurons

MIDLAND, Ontario, September 12, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - Sainte-Marie among the Hurons, a nationally significant historic site near Midland, Ontario, will be pulling out all the stops to make the upcoming visit by Their Royal Highnesses the Earl and Countess of Wessex a spectacular experience that will be steeped in Canada's founding heritage and culture. The Earl and Countess, better known as Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones, are the youngest son and daughter-in-law of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh. The Ontario visit is being hosted by Ontario's Lieutenant Governor The Honourable David Onley, and this is the first time British Royalty has visited Sainte-Marie among the Hurons.

Jan Gray, General Manager of Sainte-Marie, is inviting the public to attend the memorable event on Sunday, September 16. Sainte-Marie plans an extensive, fun, and highly animated experience for the Royal couple as they tour the site from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m.

The historic site will be resplendent with seasonal décor celebrating the onset of the Fall Harvest season. Upon arrival the Royals will be greeted by an impressive Encampment display at Sainte-Marie's front entrance, with numerous examples of "survival-in-the-bush" historic skills. They'll see traditional foods such as corn meal and maple syrup in the Cookhouse, view historic blacksmithing, learn about traditional birch-bark canoe building, and enjoy a locked waterway demonstration. Re-enactment group La Compagnie Franche will showcase the heritage of this early military unit in New France. The Earl and Countess will also see the Church of Sainte-Joseph beautifully lit with candlelight, reminiscent of Sainte-Marie's annual First Light celebrations.

Highly significant for the Royals will be their experience in Sainte-Marie's Native Area. The couple will learn about moose-hair tufting, a traditional First Nations craft, and lacrosse, Canada's original sport. The pageantry and colour of First Nations singing, drumming, and dancing will fill the air as the Red Spirit Circle Drum Group, the Christian Island Drum Group, and the Kwiikikwe Métis Women's Drum Group will perform in their spectacular costumes. Greetings will also be extended by The Beausoleil First Nation Chief and the President of the Georgian Bay Métis Council.

The Royal Visit of Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones to Sainte-Marie among the Hurons will be on Sunday, September 16, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. The public is welcome to attend, and are encouraged to arrive early. Sainte-Marie opens at 10:00 a.m., regular site admission rates will apply.

Sainte-Marie among the Hurons is operated by Huronia Historical Parks, a division of the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture, and Sport.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Plaque unveiled to mark original site of The Ontario Veterinary College (OVC)

Dr. Alan Meek, left, and Dr. John Reeve-Newson worked with
Heritage Toronto to commission a plaque marking
the original site of the OVC on Temperance Street in Toronto.

GUELPH Ontario - September 10, 2012 - University of Guelph News - The Ontario Veterinary College (OVC) celebrated its Toronto roots on Sunday with the unveiling of a heritage plaque to mark the original site of the college on Temperance Street.

About 70 people, including 35 descendants of OVC founder Andrew Smith, attended the event organized by Dr. Alan Meek, former OVC dean, and Dr. John Reeve-Newson, an OVC ’64 graduate who has practiced in the Toronto area for more than 40 years.

Ross Fair, a Ryerson history professor and member of the Heritage Toronto board, thanked Meek and Reeve-Newson for the countless hours of volunteer effort involved in initiating and fundraising for the project.

“Without them, we would not be here today celebrating this important part of Toronto’s history,” Fair said.

Smith established the Upper Canada Veterinary School in 1862. The name changed to Ontario Veterinary College in 1869 and after years of expansion on Temperance Street, OVC moved to University Avenue in 1915. It was relocated to Guelph in 1922. OVC was affiliated with the University of Toronto from 1897 to 1964, when it became one of the founding colleges of the University of Guelph.

“For some time, I’ve thought it odd that there was nothing on Temperance Street to mark the spot where OVC was established,” Meek said. “The college’s 150th anniversary gave Dr. Reeve-Newson and I the incentive to remedy the situation with a lot of help from our friends.”

On the site of what is now an underground parking garage next to a tiny green oasis called Cloud Gardens, in the shadows of the 68-storey Scotia Plaza and 70-storey Trump International Hotel and Tower, Fair asked the crowd to imagine the sites and sounds and smells of the city 150 years ago.

Back then, Toronto’s economy relied on the health of horses that were “vital to people’s ability to work and travel in the old city,” he said.

Reeve-Newson thanked Heritage Toronto and sponsors of the project including Veterinary Purchasing Ltd., Lifelearn, Scotiabank, the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association as well as many individual donors. He also acknowledged the descendants of Smith at the unveiling, including great-great-granddaughter Dr. Angela Whelan OVC ’90 and her family.

“You have an ancestor to be very proud of, and we’re proud to honour him,” Reeve-Newson said.

Other guests at the event included Stephen Samaroo of Scotiabank, University of Guelph vice-president (research) Kevin Hall, and Grant Crack, parliamentary secretary to Ontario Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. On behalf of the minister, Crack presented a special certificate to Dr. Elizabeth Stone, OVC dean, in honour of the college’s 150th anniversary.

Meek said there was much more to the project than fundraising and working with Heritage Toronto to design a plaque. The Ontario Genealogical Society helped track down additional Smith descendants, including great-great-grandson Jeff Smith, who is working with OVC’s Dr. Peter Conlon to complete the Smith family tree. The group has also combed through city and provincial archives in search of photographs and artifacts from OVC’s first 60 years. The hunt is still on for a quality photograph of the original Temperance Street building, which was demolished in 1924.

Smith and the OVC played a vital role in professionalizing veterinary medicine in North America. By the time the Ontario government took over in 1908, the college had graduated more than 3,000 veterinarians.

Smith had a lifelong love of horses and was recognized as an expert on equine diseases, according to a citation from the archives of Mount Pleasant Cemetery, where he was buried in 1910. He was a founding member of the Ontario Jockey Club, now known as the Woodbine Entertainment Group, and he established the Industrial Exhibition in Toronto, renamed the Canadian National Exhibition in 1912.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Canadian Government Demonstrates Commitment to Remembrance by Supporting Reconstruction of Rockwood Cenotaph

ROCKWOOD, Ontario, August 29, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - On behalf of the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs, the Honourable Michael Chong, Member of Parliament for Wellington-Halton Hills, today attended the Rockwood Cenotaph rededication ceremony in Rockwood, Ontario.

"Cenotaphs and monuments across our country are solemn but powerful reminders of the sacrifices made by our nation's truest heroes," said Minister Blaney. "Our Government is committed to honouring Canada's Veterans and the brave service men and women who continue to serve today."

"This special monument honours the service and sacrifices of the local men and women who served in the First and Second World Wars and the Korean War," said MP Chong. "I am very proud to be here today to rededicate this newly reconstructed cenotaph. We must preserve the legacy of our Veterans and ensure that younger generations are aware of the important contribution of Canadian Veterans to our military history."

The Township of Guelph/Eramosa has received Government of Canada funding of up to $33,060 through Veterans Affairs Canada's Community War Memorial Program, to assist with a major addition and reconstruction of the Rockwood Cenotaph in the community of Rockwood, Ontario. The project included the demolition and replacement of the stairs and the addition of fencing, retaining walls, a concrete platform around the cenotaph, and wheelchair ramps.

Applications to the Community War Memorial Program can be submitted at any time during the year and are reviewed on a quarterly basis. Interested non-profit groups and other organizations may be eligible for funding to build new memorials or to make major additions to existing ones. For more information, please visit veteran.gc.ca.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Reminiscence Journey at the 2012 International Plowing Match

Reminiscence Journey to showcase pillars of cultural heritage
that have played into the legacy of the plowing match

ROSEVILLE Ontario August 28, 2012 – The International Plowing Match (IPM) is proud to present The Reminiscence Journey (REM Journey); a brand new, and unique way, to showcase the legacy that has made IPM what it is today. The 800-acre family fun festival will display cultural elements of Waterloo Region by featuring entertainment from four significant cultures: First Nations, Pennsylvania German, Scottish, and German. These cultural heritages provide a means for an endless amount of events that the whole family can enjoy.

“We have over 1100 volunteers working in accordance with our dedicated committee members to bring about the cultural elements of our community. Some of the cultural events we have lined up include The KW Oktoberfest Tent & Lounge, Native Drumming performance, Highland dancing, and a traditional community Barn Raising by local volunteers,” said David Pyper, President of IPM 2012.

From September 18th – 22nd 2012, Waterloo Region’s Roseville will host the 99th edition of the plowing match. Its long and storied history returns to the region since its last visit in 1995, when Ayr played host to one of the most successful plowing matches to date. Committee members are confident that attendance will reach well over 100,000 due to the large span of activities and, in particular, the Reminiscence Journey – join the legacy!

About the International Plowing Match

The International Plowing Match (IPM) was established in Ontario in 1913 as a non-profit venture to showcase Ontario’s agricultural industry. Since then, it has grown to become one of Canada’s largest outdoor events and is executed through the dedication of nearly 2000 volunteers. IPM occurs in a different rural community each year and contributes 25 million dollars to the host community. The plowing match is reported to contribute as much as $25 million to the local economy based on a government of Ontario report. Key highlights of IPM include Education Sessions, the RV Holiday Mini Town, Artisan Exhibit, and the Plowing Competition. For ticket and general information, please visit www.ipm2012.ca.

Friday, August 24, 2012

2012 Search Expedition for Franklin's Ships HMS Erebus and HMS Terror

Sketch of the situation of the H.M.S. Terror at sunrise, July 14, 1837 Library and Archives Canada/Mary Montagu Album/C-006125

Parks Canada - August 23, 2012 - The Government of Canada is committed to promoting an understanding and awareness of Northern history, and preserving the heritage which unites us as Canadians. To this end, on August 22, 2012, Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced the 2012 Franklin Expedition, a new project to continue the search for the ill-fated 1845-46 Franklin Expedition vessels: the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror.

The two lost ships, HMS Erebus and HMS Terror, are together designated as a national historic site of Canada – the only such “undiscovered” national historic site. Locating these shipwrecks, or their contents, offers unprecedented information on the search for the Northwest Passage, the exploration of Canada’s North and the fate of Sir John Franklin. HMS Erebus, HMS Terror and their crew are also a testament to Canada and Great Britain’s shared history. HMS Erebus and HMS Terror also have historical and cultural significance for local Inuit who speak of the ships in their oral history. It is believed that Inuit oral history and research could hold the key to the ultimate discovery of the lost vessels.

Locating HMS Erebus and HMS Terror continues to prove very challenging due to the vastness of the Canadian Arctic and the harsh conditions frequently encountered in northern waters. It is also complicated by differing accounts of the fate of Franklin’s ships as preserved in Inuit traditional knowledge, and the many interpretations given to these accounts on the possible resting place of the wrecks. A number of attempts to locate HMS Erebus and HMS Terror have been unsuccessful to date, but an increasing area of the seafloor has been systematically ruled out, thus narrowing the search.

The 2012 Expedition

The 2012 Franklin Expedition is led by Parks Canada under the National Historic Sites Directorate and the Underwater Archaeology Services program. The expedition, which is expected to take between 4-6 weeks, will cost approximately $275,000. The opportunity to partner with so many other organizations enables the Government of Canada to carry out the operations at minimal costs.

The 2012 Expedition is a continuation of Parks Canada’s Underwater Archaeology Service surveys conducted in 2008, 2010 and 2011.

Weather and ice conditions permitting, the search areas will include both the O’Reilly Island area, west of the Adelaide Peninsula and where Inuit oral tradition places one of the shipwrecks, and further north to Victoria Strait and Alexandra Strait, where the other vessel is believed to be located.

The 2012 Franklin Expedition includes the participation of a new private partner – the Arctic Research Foundation – and with the continued support from the Government of Nunavut, Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s Canadian Hydrographic Service and the Canadian Coast Guard, Environment Canada’s Canadian Ice Service and Wildlife and Landscape Science, the Canadian Space Agency and the University of Victoria Ocean Technology Laboratory. Parks Canada is also partnering with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to bring this important story in Canadian history to the public.

The main technologies being used include side-scan sonar and multi-beam bathymetry, which have also been employed to chart a large portion of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago during past Canadian missions, including those to find the Franklin shipwrecks. The search will also benefit from the use of LiDAR, an air-borne technology used to acquire bathymetric data in shallow waters, satellite imagery, and an autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV), equipped with similar remote-sensing equipment, supplied by the University of Victoria.

The Government of Canada is the proud steward of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror National Historic Site of Canada, and is working with the Government of Nunavut and Qikiqtani Inuit Association towards the creation of a national marine conservation area in Lancaster Sound at the eastern entrance to the Northwest Passage.

This document is also available in Inuktitut at http://pm.gc.ca/grfx/docs/20120823_BG.pdf

Thursday, August 23, 2012

"Secret Life Of..." Uncovers More Royal Scandals

TORONTO, August 22, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - Bad boy Prince Harry is not the only Royal to be caught with his pants down - so to speak. Although the public is shocked to see their wild Prince flaunting the crown jewels, this is not the first time Royals have acted naughty.

The new HISTORY® series "Secret Life Of…" - Fridays at 8 p.m. ET/PT on HISTORY beginning Aug. 31 - exposes the scandals that would have rocked the House of Windsor had modern technology - and tabloids - been around. For example:

...During King Henry VIII's courtship to his second wife Anne Boleyn, he sent her secret erotic letters. The letters were quite racy with Henry writing about wanting to kiss Anne's duckies - Tudor slang for breasts. Those duckies changed the course of history!

...We think of Queen Victoria as an old prude in a black sack, but in fact she loved getting frisky. She and her husband Prince Albert's hideaway looked picture perfect to the public, but their private rooms were more like the Playboy Mansion - complete with a locking system that let them lock their bedroom door from bed.

...Queen Elizabeth - whose entourage would have stunned a rock star - made her favorite boy toy Robert Dudley master of the horse (the equivalent of today's Royal bodyguards) just to keep him close. She even entertained him in her chambers! When he wiped his brow with her handkerchief, it horrified the court and today would have been on the front page of every tabloid.

Find out more as "Secret Life Of…" subjects historical figures to modern tabloid style scrutiny.

Neighbourhood Spirit Walk at Guelph Museums McCrae House

Spirit Walk takes it to the streets in the Two Rivers neighbourhood

GUELPH Ontario August 23, 2012 Guelph Museums Release - Sunday, September 9, 2012 - Guelph Museums brings history to life as the popular Spirit Walk explores the Two Rivers neighbourhood and introduces characters who once lived and worked in the community.

"The Spirit Walk is where live theatre meets historic walking tour", explains Val Harrison, Coordinator of Public Programs at Guelph Museums. "Not only will you meet fascinating characters from Guelph's past, but you will also discover more about our architectural heritage."

Along the way, participants can expect to meet individuals such as Fiorenza Drew(1910-1965) daughter of world famous tenor Edward Johnson and wife of George Drew, Premier of Ontario; Priscilla Johnson (1858-1927) wife of William Johnson, owner of The Boathouse; Samuel Carter (1859-1936) alderman, mayor and MPP and one of the founders of the co-operative movement in Guelph; J.W. Lyon (1848-1933) industrialist and publisher of the World Publishing Company and George Sleeman (1841-1926) brewery owner, mayor and baseball team owner. A tour of St. Mary's Ukrainian Church will be available as well. Participants will also hear stories from knowledgeable tour guides about some of the historic buildings found along the route.

Tours leave McCrae House every 30 minutes from 12:30 to 2:30 pm. Each tour lasts approximately 2 hours, finishing up at The Boathouse on Gordon Street, just steps from the McCrae House starting point. Tickets for the Spirit Walk are $15 per person and are now on sale now through the River Run Box Office at 519-763-3000.

McCrae House is located at 108 Water Street. Parking is available on the streets around the museum. For general information please call 519-836-1221 or visit guelph.ca/museum.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Provincial plaque commemorates Timmins Ontario 100th Anniversary

TIMMINS, Ontario, August 7, 2012 /Canada NewsWire/ - Today, the Ontario Heritage Trust and the Timmins Museum: National Exhibition Centre unveiled a provincial plaque to commemorate Timmins during its 100th anniversary.

The plaque reads as follows:


Ojibway and Cree communities were among the early inhabitants of the region. They were drawn to the area's abundant natural resources, and participated in vast trading networks with other First Nations. Europeans arrived in the late 1600s and in the centuries that followed, local French, English and First Nations communities were largely reliant on the fur trade. In the early 1900s, the Ontario government promoted further settlement in the region, and infrastructure - such as the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway - made the area more accessible. In 1909, a substantial gold discovery in the region initiated a gold rush and led to the creation of mines, including Hollinger, Dome and McIntyre. A fire destroyed the mining settlement Porcupine Camp in 1911 and soon after Timmins developed as a "company town" of Noah Timmins's Hollinger Mines. Settlers from diverse backgrounds - including French-Canadian, Finnish, Ukrainian, Italian and Chinese - were drawn to Timmins, making it a vibrant community and an important cultural and economic centre for the region.

The unveiling took place at Hollinger Park Pavilion in Timmins, Ontario.

"The City of Timmins is a model of foresight, hope and perseverance. Hard work and dedication created a city known worldwide for its gold production. Timmins is a great example of successful industry and settlement in Ontario and I am pleased to commemorate the city's 100th anniversary." - Michael Chan, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport

"The Ontario government promoted settlement in the province's northern regions and many people answered the call, including English- and French-speaking Canadians, Finns, Italians and Ukrainians. Despite fire, harsh climes and rugged terrain, the inhabitants of the region persevered and created the splendid city that still stands after 100 years - a magnificent feat against the odds." - Thomas H.B. Symons, Chairman of the Ontario Heritage Trust

"The story of Timmins is an integral part of the history of this province. From the wild days of the Porcupine Gold Rush, the City of Timmins has grown to become an important regional centre for northeastern Ontario. We celebrate the past 100 years, certain in the knowledge that Timmins will continue to thrive for another 100 years." - Karen Bachmann, Director and Curator of Timmins Museum, City of Timmins

Quick Facts

...The Ontario Heritage Trust is an agency of the Government of Ontario dedicated to identifying, preserving, protecting and promoting Ontario's heritage.

...The Ontario Heritage Trust's Provincial Plaque Program commemorates significant people, places and events in Ontario's history.

Since 1956, over 1,200 provincial plaques have been unveiled.

Find out more about the Ontario Heritage Trust and the City of Timmins's 100th anniversary.

Explore the Provincial Plaque Program.